Monday 27 July 2009

Finding Notebook

My friends always asked me this question, "Is this notebook spec okay?". That is a valid question since they are so many varieties of notebook out there to choose from. Sony, HP, Acer, IBM, Toshiba and Dell are some of the leading brands that always proud of announcing their latest notebooks. In the midst of notebook era, netbook (the cute mini version of our notebook) pop up, and boy, do this cute netbook sure is an eye-candy.

I like to give some points to those looking for "great" notebook out there. Having to buy the best notebook does not simply means that you must get the latest design, the highest-end of technology, the glossiest (hehe, I personally love my notebook glossy finish, sooo sexy), the most expensive or the one having its biggest ad popped on the billboard near KLIA highway. To me, the best notebook is the one that work best for you, and only for you.

To start, take a piece of paper and write down what is the main reason you buy laptop. When I said main, mean 1 "very main" reason, not 100s. Some want to buy notebook to play offline games, or some for online games. Others want to browse internet and some prefer to browse streaming video and music (there is a different between "browsing" internet and streaming). Students might plan to use notebook for simple work processing and excel spreadsheet for their thesis and paperwork. Others want to use for their work (work as report writer and games programmer require different notebook specification, so please be specific). That 1 particular main reason will determine the specification of your notebook. It also will determine your notebook price range of 1000+ or 5000+, so please be honest with what you really want.

After that, ask yourself this question and write down the answer on your piece of paper:
  1. Will I be traveling a lot with the notebook? Daily or monthly travel?
  2. Would I need to switch on my notebook at any convenient time even without any power supply? Will this happen daily?
  3. How big would I require the LCD screen to be? Is the 14" or 15" that I normally see on cyber cafe desktop, should be a fine size for me? Do I need smaller or bigger display?
  4. Will I use my notebook for Wireless connection such as WiFi at Starbuck? How bad will be the WiFi signal there?
  5. Do I plan to keep all files inside my notebook? Videos, MP3, big files from work? Do I plan to keep the file long or I like to frequently delete or move the file out from my notebook?
  6. Will I be playing any 3D games?
  7. Will I be using my notebook to listen to music frequently?
  8. Do I require Microsoft-based Windows?
Done? If not, please complete all questions. Go on, I will wait for you....

The reason of asking yourself this question, is that the answer will determine the basic specification for your notebook. It will indirectly determine the range of price of that notebook between low-end, mid-end and high-end. Let me cover each questions again.

Will I be traveling a lot with the notebook? Daily or monthly travel?
If you are a frequent traveler and need to bring your notebook most of the time, do take some times to look at the weight of your notebook. A mid-end notebook normally is around 2kg to 2.5kg. This weight is within a standard price range. If you need something lighter, means some of the items in the notebook need to be smaller or use a lighter material, which will end up give you higher price. For netbook, standard weight is 900grams though.

Would I need to switch on my notebook at any convenient time even without any power supply? Will this happen daily?
We do not normally look at the battery capacity since we know that we can recharge the battery if it drained out. But if your usage of notebook require a constant rely on battery, do check out its battery capability. Most battery can last for 2 hours and can be extended using software enery consumption from your operating system. But some brands might go further on optimizing their notebook "mobility experience" and able to offer their notebook running longer on battery. Do check this option out if you think you going to need it. Of course, purchasing anything extra, means extra money need to spend.

How big would I require the LCD screen to be? Is the 14" or 15" that I normally see on cyber cafe desktop, should be a fine size for me? Or do I need smaller or bigger display?
This is very important. That LCD on your notebook will be the one your eyes will fixed on during every intimate moment you are having with your notebook. If you are familiar with the standard 14" or 15" desktop CRT, than choose that size for your notebook. This size maintain a standard price range. For netbook, 10" would be its standard price range. If you are looking for something smaller or bigger, there are option out there ranging from 10" notebook to 17" notebook, but again, anything not standard also come with its non-standard price tag.

Will I use my notebook for Wireless connection such as WiFi at Starbuck? How bad will be the WiFi signal there?
You need WiFi, ok, I get that. Most notebook offer WiFi, so why do I need to care about this question, right? For your information, our WiFi technology is constantly evolving unknowingly. The WiFi is classify as A, B, G and latest N signal. What the h*** is that? Each signal handle at different frequency, different bandwidth and different noise interference. Good news is that it is backward compatible. So if your notebook have Wireless-N, than you can use A/B/G signal too. But if your notebook use Wireless-G, then you will not be able to use N signal. Our technology standard now is at Wireless-G which normally use by WiFi hub such as Starbuck, Coffee House, Mamak shop, etc. So, it is not wrong to buy notebook with Wireless-G signal. But Wireless-N is also growing at fast rate. So, do take a look when comparing the price. If it is within your price range, I would propose you to take up WiFi-N with your notebook. Also, if your WiFi area tend to have bad signal due to noise or your notebook is further away from the nearest access point, look for notebook that have signal optimization. My personal experience, Acer SignalUp© works like a charm capturing even the dimmest signal.

Do I plan to keep all files inside my notebook? Videos, MP3, big files from work? Do I plan to keep the files long or I like to frequently delete or move the file out from my notebook?
The reason of asking this question is to determine the space you need for harddisk capacity. Nowadays, harddisk capacity can range from 160GB up to 1.5TB. Personally, I am using 160GB and still have not encountered any capacity issue. Of course it is good to have a big harddisk capacity, but the risk is that, if one bad day, your harddisk damaged, then you will lost a hack lot of files. I would recommend 160GB or 250GB. At 250GB, you should be able to keep 500 pieces of 500MB movie in your notebook (do you really intend to keep 500 movies in your notebook? what is wrong with you?).

Will I be playing any 3D games?
If you plan to use your notebook to play 3D games, then choosing the one with a good 3D graphic cards will be crucial. The standard Intel chipset will be good for playing those simple 3D games. But if you need a higher end 3D cards, make sure to pack the notebook with NVidia or ATI Radeon. Standard price range notebook normally comes with Intel Graphic Share chipset. If you are particular over your 3D graphic quality, please look for other options than Intel.


Will I be using my notebook to listen to music frequently?
Music will be another issue with notebook. Very seldom that notebook packed with a superb sound system. Even if it have a good sound card in it, without a powerful speaker, the sound quality will still be bad. I do not normally see a notebook speaker manage to drive any powerful sound from it. However, this does not means a dead end. A good sound card in notebook will be able to give you amazing sound system when coupled with headset or external speaker. If you plan to hang on to headset on your notebook for frequent dine of music, check out notebook with Altec Lancing sound system. But still, the option is not that many. However, later you can still be able to improve it through software accelerated sound system such as on your Media Player or other music software in your operating system.

Do I require Microsoft-based Windows?
So, you want to buy a notebook. Then why should you worry about the operating system? Because without the operating system, your notebook will be as good as a big paper weight. Operating system is another portion that will require you to spend money on. If you have an option to pre-load the operating system when you purchase the notebook, then go ahead. OEM Retails license sometimes is cheaper than purchasing the boxed Windows. You might also want to get the Vista SE which is the cheapest in the line of Vista. Without the pre-loaded operating system, you will need to buy a separate boxed Windows. If you plan to install a pirated copy (ehem, ehem), then be advise that some of current Vista pirated copy does not work. (don't tell Bill Gates that you heard that from me)

Other than this functionality question, additional things you need to consider:
  1. RAM capacity : Vista will work with 1GB. Most notebook can support up to 4GB. The more RAM, the better speed you get. If you got the budget, go ahead and pack as much RAM as you can effort to.
  2. Warranty : Make sure you got minimally 1 year warranty. Some retailer might offer additional warranty with increased price. My advise, 1 year is good enough.
  3. Optical driver : Minimally get DVD reader. Unless you plan to burn DVD, you will not need the DVD burner. But, even standard price notebook range might easily packed with DVDRW. As long as you do not have to add money to that, no harm having DVDRW.
  4. USB port : Nowadays, USB is a common use. Having 2 USB ports will be sufficient but more is even better (as long as no price increase). Having only 1 USB port, probably you will accommodate it with your mouse, then no more ports for other peripheral. As for external USB hub, nothing is convenient enough right now compare to have the USB port built in to your notebook.
  5. Accessories and Free Gift : Those branded notebook sometimes have fixed price. In order to attract customers, retailer will offer free gift and accessories together with the purchase. Look around for those whom offer the best gift. By the way, if the retailer offer free gifts, you can bargain with them to deduct the free gift price from the notebook price if you do not need the free gift (nothing is free. Even the FOC item price was amortized into the notebook price). My personal experience when I purchased my Acer Aspire 4930, I managed to get the retailer to deduct RM200 from my notebook price just because I do not want their FOC of thumb drive, mouse and printer.
The biggest decision-making question that I have not touched yet so far is, "How much is your budget?". I have mention over a standard price range. A standard price range notebook (not netbook) should be around RM1500 to RM2000. Anything higher than that, means there are some items in the notebook that are high-end. Make sure if you want to buy a more expensive notebook, it is an intended purchase and you know the very details of what you paid for. Anything cheaper than this, smells fishy. If you were offer notebook at RM900 or less, please ask thousand of questions in order to not be cheat with. That notebook might be used, refurbished, no warranty, or have been curse with dead soul in it. Do be careful not to be blinded with strangely cheap offer.

As for the brands, those that offer value for money notebook would be Acer Aspire, Compaq Presario and Dell Inspiron. Lenovo, Toshiba and Benq also offer good price but since I never tried their notebook before, then I will not include that as my standard notebook range, for now. Sony and Dell packed quite a powerful high-end notebook with powerful high-end price tag too. So, do take note of want you pay for. Happy shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment